23 February 2011

While I Am Sitting Here....

It ended up being a small ordeal to get full-frontal photos of the house in order to email them to Mel. I wanted to use a camera that was better than mine (supposedly) but the photos came out terrible! We won't even discuss the bare spots where I had pulled out the old landscaping last summer, the 50 mph winds and generally dark day, not to mention the fact that I couldn't back up any further to get a full panorama of the house or I ran the risk of falling down a steep hill and into oncoming traffic.

Regardless, I got what I could, here are some outtakes:



YES my bullet planters are full of fakedy-plant goodness. It looks fine from a distance, only the fed-ex guy comes to the front door so I'm not too worried about anyone thinking I'm tacky. Once spring and summer arrive, I will try my hand at real plants and see what happens.

So... I think we all have those kind of days where you read other people's blogs or sites and their homes look 1000x better than yours. Last week I was bumming out over the fact that my front door isn't orange, I don't have built-in planters anywhere, my kitchen sucks, my couches are all wrong, yellow siding is ugly, I wish I knew how to install pinch-pleat drapes, I will never be as DIY savvy as the girl who owns The Brick House, and holy-crap- I-need-3-matching-sconces-and-where-the-heck-am-I-going-to-find-THREE-matching-sconces....! etc etc etc. There were definately some home-insecurities running rampant around here!

But then I had to take these photos and they reminded me how much I love this house and how we came to own it. How I get butterflies in my stomach like a silly crush every time I drive up the hill towards home and see the the roof pointing out of the trees just a little bit. How there's nothing like the familiar prints of my barkcloth curtains when I walk in after a long day. How it's funny that when I googled about some Hall-Mack pieces, photos of my bathroom were close to the top of the search... how it will soon be summertime and I have a huge set of patio furniture to sandblast and repaint for the ultimate in swanky poolside furnishings... and how I have all these amazing ideas of things to do around here to just make it extra-groovy and how lucky I am to have a literal partner-in-crime who is down for any kind of project or purchase.

& I stopped feeling so inadequate. :)

6 comments:

SusieQT said...

Your house is awesome!!! Ours is such a mishmash of eras, very little MCM, sometimes I wish I could start all over and stick with one time period.

Dana@Mid2Mod said...

Your house is incredibly beautiful, and you deserve to get butterflies over it. I think you're right that we sometimes start to take our homes for granted and think the grass is greener EVERYWHERE, and taking photos of them can be like looking at them through someone else's eyes.

Mod Betty / RetroRoadmap.com said...

What an adorable house! I know the feeling of envy when I look at other folks' places but then I also have to remember all the cool stuff I love about The Hacienda.

Speaking of the not so cool stuff regarding MCM home-ownership- here comes the guy to take a look at our leaky basement! :-)

stacey said...

Thank you ladies, for the compliments. I try to appreciate everything that I have :)

Krazy4Mod said...

Your home is spectacular! I love the exterior design and what I've seen of the interior. You have some beautiful pieces inside and I think you've done an awesome job with your design.

Rhan Vintage said...

Your house is incredible!